Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Quick Trip to the Northwest


I had the good fortune of taking a quick trip to Oregon and Washington recently. I started in Portland, drove up to Seattle and across to the Washington coastline. I then continued down to Oregon's coast ending back in Portland. While the trip was quick and my time there was short, I did manage to see quite a bit of the countryside in both States.
Portland, Oregon was a nice surprise to me. I managed to arrived, unwittingly, just as their Rose Festival was getting underway so there was quite a bit of added activities going on. I'm not sure why it is not a more popular place to visit because I really did enjoy Portland. If you find time for a nice dinner you must try the Portland City Grill. If you're lucky enough to sit by the window (which I was) you will get a breath taking, almost panoramic view of the river and city. The meal was terrific, the service was great and the view was fantastic. I also stopped at Voodoo Doughnuts, which several people said was a must stop while in Portland. Their creations are interesting and there seems to always be a line. It is a fun place to stop.
If you enjoy San Francisco, you will enjoy Seattle. A friendly warning to those who have never been there before, wear very comfy shoes. Again I lucked out because they were holding the Northwest Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center. That was fun but very crowded. I was told it was crowded because they had unusually warm weather while I was visiting. Seattle has a variety of things to do and see for just about anyone's taste. This is another city worth taking a trip to.
Living in the southern part of California, especially this year, there isn't a lot of lush landscape this time of year (yes, it's already drying out). Both Oregon and Washington provided beautiful sights to see. I found that while Washington has a beautiful coastal area I really loved the beaches and towns along the coast of Oregon. Both states are a nice place to visit, I hope you make it through some time.

No comments: